birding-aus

CBOC Annual Raptor Count, 2008

To: "'John Leonard'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: CBOC Annual Raptor Count, 2008
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:30:19 +1000
At the risk of contributing to yet another one of THOSE threads...

Why should it matter whether counting raptors should increase our knowledge
of birds? For many of us bird watching is a hobby or a pastime. If people
get some enjoyment out of this, then that's good for them. If by counting
raptors some contribution is made to overall knowledge, then that's good too
- but there is no reason for this to be the primary purpose.

I suggest, though, that encouraging an interest in birds of any sort is
probably beneficial - in that involvement in an activity such as bird
watching probably increases awareness of environmental issues.

My two bob's worth.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Melbourne