birding-aus

2nd Stint in Breeding plumage at WTP

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: 2nd Stint in Breeding plumage at WTP
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:50:05 +1000
Birders,

I was with John Reidy when we saw this second Stint in breeding plumage.
This was at the shallow end of the pond off Beach rd. Both the Little
Stint and this Stint were close together.

Some Comments:

1/ We didn’t get great views of the 2nd bird. We were looking through
binoculars not a scope and we only had the bird in view for a minute or
so.

2/ It certainly lacked the white scapular bar of the Little Stint which
we could see clearly.

3/ I had the impression the chestnut area on the back was less extensive
than the adjacent Little.

4/ On the basis of these two observations we happy to call the ID a
Red-necked Stint but not with 100% confidence.

The Little Stint was more strongly coloured than the photos previously
posted and I only had the impression of white throat. The bird was head
down feeding 100% of the time I had it under observation.

Did any body else observes this 2md Stint? After all there was cast of
1000’s at WTP on Saturday.

Regards

Allan Benson

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.