birding-aus

Upcoming Queensland Trip

Subject: Upcoming Queensland Trip
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:30:19 EDT
Hello,
I'm an American birder who is  planning his fourth Aussie birding trip for
this September/October.  I plan to spend about six weeks in  Queensland, working
my way from Brisbane to Cairns and beyond.  You can see pictures  and
commentary on my first three trips, as well as a map of this year's  planned
itinerary, on my website, barry15.com.
I'm interested in getting any  specific advice for the places I plan to
visit, and I am also very interested in  birding with local birders, anywhere
along
my route.  I have Lloyd Nielsen’s Birding Australia  and Jo Wieneke’s Where
to Find Birds in North-East  Queensland, but the more specific places and
birds I have to look  for, the better.  I am especially in  need of information
on
specific birding sites on the route from Cunnamulla to  Winton to Townsville.
This is my  itinerary:
Depart Seattle on Wednesday, September 3, and fly via Los Angeles to Brisbane

1. Brisbane – 1 night, arrive Friday, September  5
2. Mapleton – 2 nights, arrive  Saturday, September 6
3. Rainbow Beach – 2 nights, arrive Monday, September  8
4. Bunya Mountains National Park – 2  nights, arrive Wednesday, September 10
5. Lamington National Park – 2  nights, arrive Friday, September 12
6. Girraween National Park – 2  nights, arrive Sunday, September 14
7. St. George – 1 night, arrive  Tuesday, September 16
8. Cunnamulla (Bowra Station) – 3  nights, arrive Wednesday, September 17
9. Blackall – 1 night, arrive  Saturday, September 20
10. Winton – 2 nights, arrive  Sunday, September 21
11. Hughenden – 1 night, arrive  Tuesday, September 23
12. Townsville – 4 nights, arrive  Wednesday, September 24
13. Paluma – 1 night, arrive Sunday,  September 28
14. Mission Beach – 2 nights, arrive Monday, September  29
15. Kuranda (Cassowary House) – 1  night, arrive Wednesday, October 1
16. Cairns – 4 nights, arrive Thursday, October  2
17. Daintree (Red Mill House) – 2  nights, arrive Monday, October 6
18. Julatten (Kingfisher Park) – 3 nights, arrive Wednesday,  October 8
19. Yungaburra (Chambers Rainforest  Lodges) – 3 nights, arrive Saturday,
October 11
20. Brisbane – 1 night, arrive  Tuesday, October 14
Depart Brisbane on Wednesday, October 15, and fly home  via Los  Angeles
As it turns out, in three locations  I have booked self-catering cottages
that have an extra bedroom or two.  Since I will be traveling alone, I would
welcome any other birders who wanted to enjoy a free night or two in these
places, in return for doing some birding with me.  These locations are as
follows:
September 10 and 11 – Bunya Mountains National  Park
September 12 and 13 – Lamington National Park (near  O’Reilly’s)
September 17 through 19 – Bowra  Station, near Cunnamulla
Thanks very much in advance for any  advice or tips.  The people on
birding-aus in the past have been very helpful.  I got a lot of help when I was
developing my itinerary last September/October.  Now the trip is getting close,
and
I am  very excited about it.
Regards,
Barry Brugman