birding-aus

RFI - Eungella Honeyeater

To: "Fiona Anderson" <>
Subject: RFI - Eungella Honeyeater
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:28:17 +1000
Hi Fiona,

Eungella Honeyeaters are unpredictable at this time of year.  Sorry, I guess
you didn't want to hear that.  They move between the rainforest and the dry
sclerophyll in winter and there doesn't appear to be a hard and fast rule
for where to find them.  I would suggest if the weather has been dry to try
Cockies Creek Rd into Crediton State Forest.  Any creeklines with ANY
flowering shrubs or trees (particularly Lantana) could be profitable.  Other
than that they are still occasionally seen at the Dalrymple Rd sites (end of
Snake Rd, end of Chelmans Rd at the gate, end of rainforest at the far end
of Dalrymple Rd).  You will also have to deal with the fact that the birds
are unlikely to call at this time of year, and sadly they are most often
found by call.  Diggings Rd appears to be a dead loss recently, with very
few records despite historically being one of the better sites for the
birds.  Chelman's Rd and Snake Rd seem to be the pick of the sites in the
last few years, though if you go in spring the birds will be calling and
much easier to find at other sites as well.

If you haven't picked a place to stay in the Mackay area I would highly
recommend Padaminka Nature Refuge.  Maureen Cooper runs this and is just a
wonderful person.  She also knows a lot about the honeyeater and can
probably give you up to date advice.  Her property has a lot of very cool
birds on it too, like resident White-browed Robins and recently a pair of
Black Bittern, as well as being one of the best known sites for Bush Hen in
Australia.

Regards,
Chris

ps. I don't have any commercial interest in Padaminka, I just love the place
and have stayed there many times.