birding-aus

Tasmania and Bruny Is

To: "Howie Nielsen" <>
Subject: Tasmania and Bruny Is
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:41:02 +1000
Hi Howie,
not sure about the 'low end' lodging on Bruny - we mostly went for day trips when we were in southern Tas. The Caravan Park at Adventure Bay has on-site cans and cabins. Most place s on Bruny are good fro birding, though, with most endemics available. North Bruny is probably best for Forty-spotted Pardalotes, though they are in the south as well.

Rainforest gullies on MT Wellington are good for Scrubtit, Pink Robin, Scrubwren, Tas Thornbills, etc. There is a fairly regular roost for Masked Owl at the Truganinni Reserve, between Hobart and Taroona.. About 1 km up along the walking track, where the track comes hard down onto the creek bed, search the trees there, or up to about 40m back down-stream. Not always there, but worth a try. Orielton Lagoon and Ralphs Bay, to the East of Hobart can be good for waders, but less around at this time of year, of course. Between Hobart and the airport, take the Cambridge turn-off, and then quickly left again onto Belbins Rd (dirt). A couple of hundred metres along, park in the parking bay, and walk up into the gullies for endemic honeyeaters, Blue-winged PArrots, Black and Grey Magpies, etc.

Weilangta Forest Drive, between Commping and Orford is worth a look - Wedge-tailed Eagles, and Goshawks (White and Brown), Pink Robin, Scrubwren/Scrubtit, etc.

Goulds Lagoon (Austins Ferry - Hobart suburb) can be possible for Crakes(Spotted and Spotless), Egrets, Swamphens, Chestnut Teal, etc.

On the East Coast, anywhere around Freycinet, or Maria Island is good. West Coast - Strahan Airfield is meant to be good for Southern Emu-wren, Ground Parrot, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater.

In the NOrth West, the Heath north of Arthur River, and between the main road and the Coast can get emu-wren, tawny crowned, striated Fieldwren, Brown Quail, etc. Also good spots for White-bellied Sea Eagles.

In the NOrth, Rocky Cape National Park could yield emu-wrens, ground parrots, tawny-crowned Honeyeaters, possible Spotted Quail thrush.

Hope this gives a bit of a selection, and if there are particular things you're looking for, let me know, and I'll see if I have any selections.

Happy birding,
John Tongue,
Ulverstone.