birding-aus

NANKEEN NIGHT HERONS

To: <>
Subject: NANKEEN NIGHT HERONS
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:20:49 +0900

          BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 While holidaying in Fremantle last December, we located a small
population (up to 10 birds, both adults and juveniles) of Nankeen
Night Herons in the parkland near the Little Creatures Brewery. They
would return each morning to the pine trees on the opposite side of
the park to the brewery and find a 'quiet' place to sleep.

        Although we never set out to find them at the start of the holiday,
they were certainly a welcome tick off the list! The first one (Juv.)
was found at sunset very low on the branches (maybe 10 feet up), and
the rest we found the following day in pine trees about 40m away.

        Cheers

        Nigel