birding-aus

Lyrebird Walk - Vic

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Lyrebird Walk - Vic
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:55:13 +1000
I visited Grants picnic ground in the Dandenong Ranges National Park last
Sunday and went for a short stroll along Lyrebird Walk.

Several Lyrebirds were displaying but they were too far from the track to
see.  Finally I heard one that seemed to be only a short distance away and
I scrambled about 20 metres down the slope until I could see the Lyrebird
perched about 2 metres above the ground on the other side of a drainage
line.  Its repertoire included Kookaburra, Pied Currawong, Sulphur-crested
Cockatoo, Galah, Blackbird, Eastern Whipbird and a couple of others that I
couldn't identify. The other unseen Lyrebirds had similar repertoires and,
with the exception of the Kookaburra, the calls seemed more intense than
the originals.

It was also interesting to see the how much leaf litter and topsoil was
disturbed by Lyrebird foraging.

The only downside was the number of visitors so I think I'll return on a
weekday next time.

David