birding-aus

Sparrows in Taswegia

To: bird <>
Subject: Sparrows in Taswegia
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:47:34 +1000
Having just returned from a southern work trip I can say that House Sparrows appear to be faring well in the settled parts of Tasmania. Blackbirds were also thick on the ground. I don't particularly like Common Starlings, but I did appreciate watching several swirling clouds of the pests. There were also large flocks of Goldfinches in rural areas.

I didn't do much in the way birding - although I did target two endemics. The 40 Spots were easy to find by the car park at the Penryhn Ponds end of Peter Murrell Reserve, and I found some Dusky Robins near Arthur River [at a site that John Tongue kindly put me on to.] The Duskies were a classic case of field guide confusion. I was using P&K 7 which for some reason suggested that DRs have mid-brown underparts and a pale supercilium. Of course the birds I saw had pale underparts and no supercilium, so I had to go on size, behaviour, the lack of any red breasted individuals [and the lack of the pale lores one normally sees on "red" robins].

Overall, I would have to say that Tassie in winter is rather quiet on the birding front. Masked Lapwings were present in large numbers [including a group of 20+] clustered at one point and there were large numbers of Kelp & Pacific Gulls. Tassie Hens were common roadside browsers and seemed to be more switched on in relation to road safety than their mammalian relations. The unhealthy supply of roadkill meant that there were lots of corvids. For some reason, Tasmanian Wedgetails don't seem to have taken to roadside carrion the way their outback brethren have.

Generally the bush birds were few and far between. The interesting exception was Friday - my last morning before boarding the return plane. I popped up Mt Wellington to have a gekko at the big dump of snow that had fallen during my conference - the sky was a nice azure and there was no wind. The road was closed because of ice at the springs, so I went for a bit of a stroll before the tourists came in their busloads - in a short period of time I saw Tas Scrubwrens, a Scrubtit, a Pink Robin, some Flame Robins and the local race of Silvereyes.

As for a drought report, the south-east coast is very dry - particularly around Swansea. Things get green from St Helens and the north coast was very green, particularly in the north-west corner. The western rivers had reasonable flows, but a long way from high flows.

The Road to Nowhere was closed [due to fallen trees] but the drive from Savage River to Corinna was very nice [I'd stay at Corinna if I had more time as the Pieman River is very nice and quiet]. White- tailed Cockies seemed to be the only treechange residents at Queenstown ...