birding-aus

Field Guide to Australian Birdsong CD Series

To: "John Harris" <>,
Subject: Field Guide to Australian Birdsong CD Series
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:24:15 +1000
Hi John,

While no doubt the birds call, Banded Fruit-Dove is probably more likely to
be found sitting quietly.  I saw them at the bottom of Gunlom late in the
afternoon a few years back.  I'm told Nourlangie Rock is another good site,
though I had no luck there.  Look up when you get to fig trees :)

With Chestnut-backed Button-Quail you may find no one has ever recorded them
call?  Oriental Cuckoo was recorded (videoed) calling perhaps for the first
time ever in Australia last year in Townsville I believe.  This was when
there was a flock of 20-30 around up there, so possibly an atypical
situation.

Like Dave I find the BOCA collection to be mostly complete - subspecies are
reasonably well covered (with some notable patches like Western Shrike-Tit)
however all in all they are a great resource, particularly for travelers who
don't have time to learn the calls once they get to a destination.  Don't
underestimate the value of having a local CD though, such as those put out
by David Stewart or Fred Van Gessel etc.  Despite being the same species, a
Grey Shrike-Thrush recorded in Victoria doesn't sound much like a GST in WA,
QLD or NT.  Personally I have all the BOCA CDs and try and get local CDs for
locations I am going to as well, as I find having a variety of calls to
listen to can help get your ear in more effectively than just listening to
the same call over and over.  For a real lark try listening to Red-lored
Whistler calls from BOCA, David Stewart, and the CD put out by Gluepot.
They are all very, very different, but listen closely and you can pick up
the key features of the calls.

Regards,
Chris