birding-aus

Cassowaries

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Cassowaries
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:44:16 +1000
Great activity here at Cassowary House, Kuranda, Far North Queensland this morning at 0800, with the two adult Cassowaries mating in the forest below our deck. The female sat down on the leafy floor, and the male came in close several times before also sitting down behind her and then rhythmically raking her flanks and rear with his feet, swaying from side to side. This went on for several minutes before he mounted her, perched somewhat precariously on her sloping rump. The mating lasted about a minute and there were no calls involved, but suddenly the female leapt up and gave a roaring coughing bark I'd never heard before, aggressively chasing the male away, crashing off through the forest at high speed and making me very glad we were high above it all. The male gave a low grunting alarm series as he dashed away. About ten minute later we heard the very deep low frequency pulsing contact call given twice, so low it's like a vibration, and presumably very effective at carrying a long way through the dense forest here. We await further developments, the chicks are still about with two of them associating with the female all day yesterday, but with no sign of them so far this morning.

Phil Gregory