birding-aus

pelagic prices - thoughts of a POM - correction!

To: <>
Subject: pelagic prices - thoughts of a POM - correction!
From: robert morris <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 03:47:44 +0000

I've read with interest all the discussion on paying / not paying / free trips
etc. I'm truly amazed (as a POM) at all the whinging. I thought I'd left all
that behind me! Could I suggest you try the UK. There's one (proper) pelagic a
year (from the entire country) which is fully 'commercial' and the birds are
few and far between (I have once seen a Fea's Petrel - our only Pterodroma!).
You guys (me included now!) are really, I mean REALLY lucky to be so
fortunately located for seabirds. And the fact you have a dedicated bunch of
pelagic organisers is great and you should all be grateful. The hours these
guys put in fully deserves payment let a lone a free trip (if that even
happens). I for one actually hope that they do get the odd free trip. The fact
that there are people out there saying they've 'pulled out of trips when they
found out the leader was NOT paying is short-sighted. But it's their choice.
Anyway, even though I don't care if the organisers are going for free, getting
paid or contributing like the rest of us, the problem is easily resolved - by
letting people know in advance. And those who are opposed to going on such
trips on principle can organise their own - or watch those specs on the horizon
and wonder what they would have looked like if you'd been on the pelagic. Or
they could try UK pelagics for a while! They'd soon be back home.......  Rob
Morris  Brisbane, Australia > From: > To:
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:55:06 +1000> Subject:
[Birding-Aus] pelagic prices> > Dear All,> As an avid consumer of guided and
independent bird trips on land and sea> for many years, both domestc and
international as Qantas might say, might I> suggest that Australian birdos are
exceptionally fortunate to have the> variety of pelagics on offer, to places
that mere mortals rarely get to. The> Kimberley coast, Ashmore Reef, Torres
Strait, Christmas Island and the> South-east Pacific are among the most
interesting areas we have ever> visited, birding or otherwise, and exposure to
the wealth of knowledge> freely given by the leaders and experienced others is
like a University> course on seabird identification. For those not prone to the
mal-de-mer, the> coastal trips are also brilliant experiences, as well as often
accessing> great birds> The likes of Tony Palliser, Mike Carter, Richard Baxter
and Phil Hansboro> among others, put in huge amounts of time and effort into
organising these> trips, which are non-profit in the financial sense and as
Richard has noted,> actually cost the organisers.> Any miseries out there
carping about possible freebies should get things> into perspective. These guys
(and Inga) have added a huge extra dimension to> Australian birding, and I for
one am grateful to them.> > > Cheers> > Michael> PS, no charge for the
testimonial fellas.> > Michael Hunter> Mulgoa Valley> 50km west of Sydney
Harbour Bridge> > ===============================> www.birding-aus.org>
birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, > send the
message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)> to:

at CarPoint.com.au It's simple! Sell your car for just $30
Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org