birding-aus

Gloucester back garden

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Gloucester back garden
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:04:02 +1000

Dear all

Yesterday, despite a bit of cool wind and rain, I was enjoying the birds from my back deck, in between reading the daily paper, when all hell broke loose. The large trees beyond the lane erupted with birds (never knew there were so many there) - Satin bowerbirds, King Parrots, E and C Rosellas, Little Raven, Red Wattlebirds, Yellow faced, Lewin's honeyeaters,grey Fantails, Willies, Figbirds, C Mynars, all scattering in different directions shrieking. Thought - must be a raptor in action. No sign. Went to front of house, no sign. Returned to back and there was a juvenile Brown Goshawk in the top of one of the trees, looking a bit confused and worried. I guess a very young bird as later heard it calling from the river where it eventually flew to.

Is this early for a fledged B.Goshawk? There've been quite a few comments on mid-winter nesting. Certainly birds in this district appear to be courting and I've seen a few carrying nesting material. However, Gloucester has had lots of rain and is as green as the Emerald Isle. The plants in my garden are all in flower or coming into, and full of nectar seeking birds - lovely to see all the hard work of the past six years starting to come good - if they're not feasting, they are bathing and just hanging around looking content. Except for the neighbour's cats.....less said the better.