birding-aus

Orange-bellied Parrot sighting

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Orange-bellied Parrot sighting
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:54:01 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,
  I had an amazing birding experience yesterday (8th June, 2008) at The Spit
Wildlife Reserve with clear views of a female Orange-bellied Parrot and 3
juveniles. Descriptions found below.
  I arrived at the Kirk Point boat ramp at 7.00am, too dark to start walking
towards The Spit. I left at 7.20am, drove a few hundred meters further west and
started the mushy walk along the coast towards The Spit.
  Arriving at The Spit, I had no permit so did not enter and proceeded to walk
along the road that borders the Reserve. Walking firstly passed a very dry and
empty treatment pond and then to a pond with a small amount of water in it. I
saw dozens of White-fronted Chats and a few Red-capped Plovers.
  At 8.30am, no sign of Orange-bellied Parrot so I returned and when arriving
at the start of the dry pond I saw 4 parrots and several finches fly up onto
the fence 40 metres in front on my right.
  I had wonderful views of the female who was standing upright grooming, a
small orange belly patch clearly visible. She had a light blue band above the
eye, green breast, orange patch beneath breast (on belly), pale yellow / green
surrounding and beneath the orange patch, green tail, grey bill and a thin dark
blue edge along the wing. The bird was not banded.
  The juveniles were sitting behind the female, enjoying the sun, feathers
fluffed. I could not see orange on belly due to the way they were sitting, nor
a distinct colour above the eye, perhaps lightish green band. They were green
birds however more pale than the female. Their breasts were green, faces were
pale yellow / green, grey bill. I could not see if these birds were banded.
  I made a small movement and they were off quickly into the air, calling
loudly / rapidly (repeated zeet, zeet, zeet, zeet) until they were out of site,
up very high in the air, flying south-west in the direction of Point Wilson.
All up the birds I observed for perhaps about 3-4 minutes.
  Enjoying the sensation for several minutes afterwards I then continued back
towards my car. The finches remained until I got within metres of them,
European Goldfinches.
  An amazing birding experience!
  Cheers,

  Charles Hunter