birding-aus

Re: birding

To: "Alana Dare" <>
Subject: Re: birding
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:28:29 +0930
Alana

I have never seen painted finch on Mt Gillen(at least I don't think so)  I
would suggest that with the lack of water around that Ormiston gorge would be
the best place.  I haven't been there lately but if there is water in the gorge
itself early morning or late evening would be good.  I have seen scores of
painted finch coming off the top of the gorge to drink around midday on hot
days.  The other option is to walk further around through the gorge to Bowman's
gap-there is permanent water on the way.   I am sure they will be there
somewhere!   N'Dahla gorge is the other hot spot for painteds but I don't think
there will be any water there.

Bourkes parrots can be seen during the day if you are lucky in teh mulga
woodland, but I assume that you will be staying until dark at Kunoth bore.
The bourkes parrots don't come in until after sunset.

As I always say if you see a grey honeyeater let me know although I haven't
been looking this year.  I haven't been doing much birding,only incidental
sightings.  My wife saw a large flock of red tailed blacks the last two times
she climbed mt gillen, but has never seen them previously.

I have put sightings of dusky grasswrens and rufous crowned emuwren up recently
on birding-aus, but Mt Gillen remains the easiest and most reliable place I
know to see the duskys and if I was looking for rufous crowned emu wren I would
go to santa teresa road-you probably saw these species last time.  The other
bird of interest to most people is spinifex bird and again on the left hand
side approx 100 metres down the road to Ormiston there is a good patch of
spinifex, where my brother and I saw it approx 1-2 kms west of the road.
Apparently rufous crowned emu wren is there but we didnt' see it.

keep an eye out for crimson chats even thoughi it is dry, I have seen them just
while I am driving on the side of the road.

Enjoy

Gary