birding-aus

cunnamulla, Sturt NP, Innamincka

Subject: cunnamulla, Sturt NP, Innamincka
From: "Kathy Wilk" <>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 20:00:22 -0700
We have just returned from 2 1/2 weeks birding from Tweed Coast thru
Qld/NSW border area out to Bedourie, Birdsville, Coongie Lake etc and
back.
We are beginner birders and only spotted 183 species all up.  Other
recent trip reports had way over 200.
The conditions were generally pretty dry, with ponds of water around,
enough to find birds in.  Lake Houdraman near Quilpie was 100% full and
actually had less birdlife than last Sep when there were mudflat areas
for waders.
Lake Bindegolly as previously reported is pretty dry near the road.  On
the opposite side, where the bush camp area is, we saw grey honeyeaters
- they seem a bit out of range? It would be good if someone else can
report a sighting here to back us up (no photos unfortunately).
At Culgoa Floodplains NP we saw Black chinned H/E - a parent feeding
young (photos avail).  This is not on the park list either, but is in
range.
We saw Inland Dotterel at 3 places (near Welford NP, Sturt NP &?)
Cinnamon Quail Thrush can be found at the Waddi Tree site about 12km
north of Birdsville and at Sturt NP - along the northern dirt roads.
chirruping Wedgebills, gibberbirds, orange chats also at same spot.
The lady in the bakery at Birdsville has started keeping a list of
recent sightings of the more requested birds around the area and has a
sighting for an emu or ? grasswren at Pandie Station just south of
Birdsville.  She is not herself a birder, but is interested.
Birdsville Caravan Park, the one with the river, is overrun with Orange
Chats.
When I work out how to add a trip list to birding-Aus I'll post it for
those interested.
cheers Kathy Wilk
--
  Kathy Wilk