birding-aus

White-backed Swallow nest sites

To: "BA email" <>
Subject: White-backed Swallow nest sites
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 17:06:37 +1000
Hi everyone,
I'd like to draw on the fabulous collective knowledge out there, and get as
much info as I can on the requirements for White-backed Swallows to nest.
We've had an unfortunate situation occur here, near the Terrick NP in Northern
Victoria, where some gypsum heaps which had nesting White-backs were levelled
out in the name of restoring the site.  Having spoken to the guy who is
co-ordinating the project he is keen to rectify the situation and re-form some
gypsum piles for the birds in the hope that they will return.
I've checked out Hanzab, and it has some info on height of burrows above the
ground, distance from burrows to top of banks etc.  Nowhere does it mention
gypsum heaps though.
I'd be interested in any info at all, but particularly heights, angles,
directions, substrates, and position in relation to trees, water, etc.
If people would like to reply to me personally, I can provide a summary of the
info back to the list.

Thanks,
Simon Starr,
Firetail Birding Tours,