birding-aus

Honeyeater and Musk Lorikeet Movements

To: Peter Ewin <>
Subject: Honeyeater and Musk Lorikeet Movements
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 19:20:42 +1000
Hi Peter,

I too would be surprised if they made it out there, but with the lack of surveys having been done out that part of the world, who knows. There are less than 20 surveys along the road from Hungerford to Wanaaring on Birdata. It would be interesting to see what a thourough search along the Paroo in good times like this would turn up.

As for Napunyah, I must say mea culpa. What I should have typed is Eucalyptus _ochrophloia_. E. _ochrophloia_ is referred to as both Napunyah and Yapunyah on EUCLID, the Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research Eucalypy reference, at http://anbg.gov.au/cpbr/cd-keys/euclid3/euclidsample/html/index_species.htm which funnily enough, doesn't list a common name for E. thozetiana. I think the apiary industry uses Napunyah interchangeably for both species. A good case against common Names, Eh.

Lignum is not great bee fodder, and I don't think any apiarist would go out of their way to put their bees on it alone, but it is very useful as a supplementary feed particularly as a pollen source when they are trying to increase bee numbers in the hives prior to a "shake' for export.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

Peter Ewin wrote:
Sorry to contradict you Carl but I would be very surprised if that is where the Little Lorikeets and honeyeaters (I haven't checked but I think the original discussion was on Yellow-faed and New Holland) would be going. Checking the Atlas confirmed my thoughts that none of these species have been recorded in the Paroo River part of the world. I suspect your friend means Yapaunyah (E. ochrophloia) which is beautiful Eucalypt (much favoured by apiarists) from the Paroo area (including Nocoleche NR) - as far as I can see E. thoretziana is a central Australian species. I have not heard of Beekeepers using Lignum, but one website lists it (but I suspect it would not be used often) and I have not seen birds feeding on the flowers much, but would be happy to be proved wrong. The large amounts of water is obviously attracting lots of birds (see all the comments on Flock Bronzewings).
Cheers,
Peter