birding-aus

Mount Isa and the Barkly Tablelands - a few highlights from a work trip

To: L&L Knight <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Mount Isa and the Barkly Tablelands - a few highlights from a work trip
From: robert morris <>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 00:04:23 +0000
I've just got back from a week working in Mount Isa / the Barkly Tablelands.

I had a couple of mornings (before 9am) and an afternoon around Mount Isa. Best
birds:

Carpentarian Grasswrens - a pair at 7.30-8.00am 11km up the McNamara Rd.
Excellent views - they were feeding along a very small dry river bed on the
west side of the road - 350m WSW of the 11km point (I checked my GPS) from the
road. The male sang (well trilled and squeeked!) a few times from a dead branch
sticking up from the spinifex.

Spinifexbirds - several (4+) at the above location - showed very well early
morning and popped up to 'pishing'.

Kalkadoon Grasswrens - a pair in the valley between the 2 water tanks at the
end of Pamela Road. Fantastic views!

Painted Finches - up to 60 drinking at Clear Water around 1pm (Monday and
Thursday) - the freshwater lagoon on the east side c. 14km NW of Mount Isa.

Black-chinned (golden-backed form) Honeyeater - 4 3km up the McNamara Road.
These are one of my favourite Australian Birds!

NO - Flock Bronzewings, Grey Falcons or Letter-winged Kites despite 4 days on
the Tablelands (but mostly working) - I did drive 70km up and down the
Tablelands Highway from the Barkly Homestead one evening - NO flocks of
Letter-winged Kites! Lots or Australian Pratincoles was the best thing!

I spoke to a Station owner 140km east of the Barkly Homestead (Soudan I think
it's called) and they had a Letter-winged Kite (or 2) on their property north
of the Highway about a year ago.

cheersRob Morris  Brisbane, Australia
It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org