birding-aus

Wintering shorebirds, SEQld

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Wintering shorebirds, SEQld
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:16:25 +1000
Hi All,

I'm writing to find out what people are seeing around the shorebird
traps. I have noticed a depletion of ranks of migratory shorebirds in
the places I survey, and wonder if it's local or not.

My team surveyed Noosa this week and found Pacific Golden Plover
completely absent, Bar-tailed Godwit about half what I expected, and
other species down. Even Double-banded Plovers are half the numbers of
two winters ago (no numbers for last winter). Nothing was up. I was
paddling the high tide in Caloundra a couple of weeks ago and had
trouble rounding up half a dozen shorebirds. That's serious depletion.
Dorothy Pashniak has just come back from a roost she covers in the Great
Sandy Strait, and she says much the same thing. Unfortunately I don't
have long term numbers for the Noosa estuary, having only started
surveys less than 3 years ago.

May I have some feedback from others who are in touch with regular
numbers? Has anyone seen any reports of the summer catchings of
juveniles in NWAust or Vic?

Cheers,

Jill

--