birding-aus

Gloucester garden birds

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Gloucester garden birds
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:40:42 +1000
Dear all

Having been confined to home during April, due to medical problems, I've spent a lot of time on the back deck watching and listening. Nothing world shattering bird-wise has appeared but have noticed the following:

We had rain most days throughout April after a dry March and now dry until today when we had a light splash. From the 2nd week in April, small groups of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters were flying through on migration. This has increased and now includes a few White-naped. There was a brief absence of Silvereyes, then the Tassie ones arrived at the end of April.

Since it stopped raining end April, the bird baths are in constant use with White-browed Scrubwrens, Superb Blue Wrens, Red-browed Finches, Golden Whistlers, Grey Fantails, Willie Wagtails, Yellow-faced and Lewins Honeyeaters, E.Spinebills, Yellow, Yellow-rumped and Brown Thornbills. The little birds always give way to the big mob, which includes Eastern and Crimson Rosellas, King Parrots, Magpies, Red Wattlebirds, Kookaburras, Pee Wees, White-headed Pigeons, a lone immature Grey Butcher-bird, and up to 18 Satin Bower-birds, including a mature black male and a half-and-half black/green male.

A flock of about 30 Top-knot Pigeons flew over on 5 May, a pair of Rufous Whistlers visited on the 11 May (rather late I thought), and a Brown Cuckoo-dove dropped in on the 9th. The Camphur-laurels and Privet are in full fruit and Gloucester Park has large feeding flocks of both Top-knot and White-headed Pigeons. There is a seeming lack of raptors at the moment - a few warning calls have caused me to search the skies but no luck.

On Tuesday, friends and I walked up the east flank of Mograni ridge, just east of Gloucester, on private land. Notable was the numbers of Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters - a constant fly-over, stopping for brief rests, and heading north along the Gloucester River to the Manning River, which appears to be the migration route here. Included a few Noisy Friarbirds as well. Once up the hill out of the paddock, there is a mass of natural vegetation with large grass trees, flowering mint bushes and all sorts of goodies hidden away. We go back on Sunday with an "official group walk" so I shall have to separate from the crowd if I want to see some birds!

Happy birding to everyone.