birding-aus

Cairns quick visit May 2008

To: birding-aus Aus <>
Subject: Cairns quick visit May 2008
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 21:53:47 +1000
Hi all,
Spent a couple of days in Cairns last week (adding a couple of holiday days in around work). Did a bit of birding around Cairns itself and one day looping up through Mareeba, Mt Lewis etc.
A trip total of 107 species (plus 2 heard only).

We basically birded along the road from Mareeba to Kingfisher Park.
A great little spot was just out of Mareeba not far before the turn - off to Mareeba WETLANDS. Basically saw a small dam/wetland on the LHS near a house and pulled off into a track along the electricity poles. Good number of Plumed Whistling Ducks caught my eye which is why we went back. When we pulled up we saw a Squatter Pigeon fly into the tree in front of us and eventually found it and its mate sitting quietly in the tree. Other interesting birds were Forest Kingfishers, White-throated HE, Whistling Kite diving at Black-fronted Dotterel, Helmeted Friarbird, Drongo, White-rumped Swiftlets, Black Kite.

Next stop was the Mareeba Wetlands access road. We just drove along stopping when necessary. Great views of Hobby and Brown Falcon perched in a dead trees. Lots of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins and a Blue-winged Kookaburra. One unexpected sighting was a Bustard between two rows of a cane paddock. We then got out of the car near Biboohrah B&B not far along the road. Highlights were Pale-headed Rosella, Red-winged Parrot, Black-throated Finch (feeding on the road with a double-bar). Didn't go into Mareeba Wetlands although Keith Fisher now tells me that they don't charge you for just going into the visitors centre which is good news.

Managed one new bird - White-browed Robin which i hadn't caught up with since the split. Beautiful bird! Found it easily at the "usual" spot at Big Mitchell Creek north of Mareeba. Heading north there is a small bridge over a dry creek signposted as "Big Mitchell Creek". There is a dirt track heading east (RHS rd as you are heading towards Mt Molloy) alongside the creek. We basically dropped down into the creek as soon as we could (steep sides plus a black snake made it fun) and he was sitting in the branches of an overhanging tree calling his heart out back towards the bridge. Really happy with the shots. He was very obliging.

Lake Mitchell produced a Jacana and Little Pied Cormorant and that was it! Too much water in there at the moment.

Abbatoir Swamp was good for honeyeaters in the carpark and an obliging Northern fantail. White-cheeked, Dusky, White-throated, Scarlet HE.

Kingfisher Park - really just stopped long enough to say g'day to Keith and Lindsay and see Yellow-Spotted, Graceful, Macleays and Lewin's HE plus Emerald Dove at their feeder.

Mt Lewis - again another quick visit as it was getting later in the afternoon and the wind was up. Only birds seen were Chowchilla, Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Atherton Scrubwren, Yellow-spotted HE, Spotted Catbird, Mountain Thornbill, Pale-headed Robin, Grey-headed Robin. Heard Brown Cuckoo-Dove and Bower's Shrike Thrush.

On other days around Cairns:
Centenary Lakes: Forest KF, Bush Stone-curlew, Wandering Whistling Duck, Magpie Goose, Drongo, Yellow Oriole, Sunbird. No sign of Little Kingfisher or White-browed Crake this time.

Esplanade: Little, Int, Great Egrets, Whimbrel and greenshank coming into breeding plumage, Gull-billed and Crested Tern, Osprey, White- bellied Cuckoo-Shrike (common everywhere), Varied HE. Got absolutely eaten alive by sandflies at the far northern end trying for Mangrove Robin (no luck) - even though i had liberal amounts of insect repellant on!

Crystal Creek Cascades: Not a great birding spot but pretty to visit. Watched an eel chasing yabbies while red and blue dragonflies flitted around us. Great stuff. Birds: Emerald Dove, Yellow-spotted HE, Little Shrike-Thrush, Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Spectacled Monarch

Other highlights of the trip: Brahminy Kite (roosting in trees on the road near the airport), Nutmeg Mannikin, Bee-eaters, Scaly-breasted Lorikeets, Yellow HE, Metallic Starling (all near my friends house where i was staying near an oval).

A great couple of days!
Cheers
David Stowe