birding-aus

common birds - quiz [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

To: <>
Subject: common birds - quiz [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:29:20 +1000
Hi again,

As expected, a variety of possibilities (32 in fact) put forward. Chance
played a very large part in my final five species common to all
states/territories, and the limiting places were very clearly Alice
Springs and the far NW of Tassie.

Part of what intrigued me about the five species when I first noted them
was that they were NOT what I necessarily would have expected myself.
Four are no surprise but the fifth was unexpected (and consequently no
one guessed it).

The five are:

White-faced Heron
Cattle Egret
Silver Gull
Galah
Grey Butcherbird

So special mention goes to Grant Brosie who top-scored with 2 correct
guesses.

The following species were nominated as possibles by the 12 respondents:
(number of times nominated in brackets)

Black Swan  (1)

Pacific Black Duck  (2)

Little Pied Cormorant  (1)

Australian Pelican  (1)

White-faced Heron  (1)

Great Egret  (1)

Wedge-tailed Eagle  (3)

Brown Falcon  (3)

Nankeen Kestrel  (1)

Eurasian Coot  (2)

Silver Gull  (4)

Caspian Tern  (1)

Galah  (1)

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo  (2)

Pallid Cuckoo  (1)

Southern Boobook  (1)

Tawny Frogmouth  (1)

Owlet Nightjar  (1)

Sacred Kingfisher  (1)

Striated Pardalote  (2)

Yellow-rumped Thornbill  (2)

White-plumed Honeyeater  (1)

Grey Shrike-thrush  (1)

Magpie Lark  (3)

Grey Fantail  (3)

Willie Wagtail  (4)

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike  (2)

Grey Butcherbird  (1)

Australian Magpie  (6)

Welcome Swallow  (1)

Tree Martin  (1)

Mistletoebird  (2)

The comment about Burnie and hinterland (where Australian Magpies are
apparently not real common) was meant to account for its absence from
the group of five - it did received the most nominations (6).

Hope some of you had fun - it was fun seeing the responses.

Cheers,

Harvey

Harvey Perkins
Canberra