birding-aus

Maitland Birding

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Maitland Birding
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 22:50:55 -0700 (PDT)
Everyone,

Spent the morning birding around Walka Water Works, Maitland, NSW. This is a
great spot with a large body of water surrounded by reed beds and eucalypts.
First highlight was a Grey Goshawk keeping a watchful eye from an electricity
pole on the road in. Shame the light was on the wrong side as it would have
made a great pic.
There are many young Great-crested Grebe on the lake at the moment in various
phases of plumage. There seemed to be more Chestnut Teal then usual and I
couldn't find a single Musk Duck.
In the grass Red-browed Finches and 12 Goldfinches fed while Tree Martins
swooped from above. Several Reed Warblers were seen and heard, aren't they
migratory?
The eucalypts on the western shore was alive with large mixed feeding flocks.
One such flock contained the following:
10 Double-barred Finch
2 Yellow-rumped Thornbill
5 Yellow Thornbill
2 Grey Fantail
7 Superb Fairy-wren
2 Rose Robin
3 Willie Wagtail
10+ Yellow-faced Honeyeater
2 Silvereye

As I walked further around 2 Blackbirds shot across the path, a new bird for my
Walka list. Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo and Long-billed Corella flew over
calling, and in the understory White-browed Scrubwrens and Yellow Robin were
just as noisy.

Very enjoyable morning with 54 species recorded around the lake.

Cheers,
Grant Brosie
Raworth, NSW

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail