birding-aus

Mostly raptors and parrots

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Mostly raptors and parrots
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 11:20:54 +1000
There are heaps of raptors around the valley right now, some spp in numbers. I
encountered 13 raptor spp over the weekend, including at least 8 individual
White-bellied Sea-eagles, Black Falcons in two locations, 7 Brown Falcons, 2
Peregrines, 3 Wedgies – and so on.

And nearly as many parrot spp, viz - Red-tailed Black Cockatoos,
Sulphur-crested, Little and Long-billed Corellas, Galahs, Cockatiels, Little,
Scaly-breasted and Rainbow Lorikeets, Pale-headed Rosellas, Red-rumped Parrots,
Australian King Parrots.

Four Black-tailed Godwits at Seven Mile Lagoon on Saturday, two of them
resplendent in rufous-orange breeding plumage. Also Black-necked Stork, Swamp
Harrier.

Spectacled Monarch still on the Toowoomba escarpment on Sunday (4th May).
Fan-tailed Cuckoo too, also Fan-tailed Cuckoo and Shining Bronze in the garden,
and Brush Cuckoo calling here every day for the last couple of weeks.

Our garden trees are full of boldly buff-flanked Silvereyes, up from the south,
20 or so on and around a birdbath this-morning. Immature and female Golden
Whistlers are also back. Similarly, Grey Fantails have arrived in small
numbers, both these and the Golden Whistlers being autumn/winter birds in our
garden.

And in contrast to all this, being Queensland after all, Rainbow Bee-eaters are
still calling and feeding overhead every day.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

(27º 34' 21" S; 152º 08' 21" E)