birding-aus

Flagged Red Knot "BCL" - Wynnum, SEQ

Subject: Flagged Red Knot "BCL" - Wynnum, SEQ
From: "mat & cathy" <>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:03:45 +1000
I reported seeing a Red Knot (with white flag marked "BCL") near
Brisbane on Anzac Day (photo posted on ABID website).  I received the
following information about "BCL" from Tony in New Zealand which may
be of interest:

"it is one of the 10 birds we released on 30.3.08 (after 8 days in
rehab) after being found during Easter weekend in a very bad way, not
flying and able to walk. Some of you will already know the details of
that fateful weekend when an 56 Red Knot were found dead or dieing
from unknown causes.  The postmortems failed to identify the cause of
death, but unfortunately the two suspect causes are either TOO
expensive to test for or NOT able to be tested for in NZ. Marine
Biotoxins or botulism. This is truly a brilliant find as I wasn't
expecting any of the released birds to migrate after the trauma they
had suffered and weight lost during their ordeal. The only sighting of
it was on 13.4.08 at Kidds Karaka, Sth Manukau."

So if you see any Red Knots in SEQ (or elsewhere) over the next few
weeks - have a close look for a labelled flag - you never know!

Cheers
Mat Gilfedder
Brisbane