birding-aus

Long billed Corella

To: Evan Beaver <>
Subject: Long billed Corella
From: Beth Mantle <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:47:57 +1000
Hi All,

I am by no means an expert, but Psittacine Beak and Feather disease (PBFD) is very prevalent amongst cockatoos at the moment (in Canberra, at least). I volunteer for the wildlife hospital at the RSPCA in Weston, ACT and we have been receiving large numbers of Sulphur- crested cockatoos in the advanced stages of the disease. Scruffy feathers, "frilled" looking feather shafts, cracked and splitting beaks are all signs of the disease. It is usually (in truth, always) fatal in these circumstances.

I would like to echo Evan's and Michelle's emails and suggest caution when dealing with birds (and in this case, parrots) that could be sick. PBFD is extremely contagious and affected birds should be isolated and, if possible, provided with veterinary care for proper diagnosis. This is particularly important in areas that are inhabited by rare species, such as Orange-bellied parrots and Swift parrots, that are susceptible to the disease.

Others on the chatline may be able to add more to this...

Cheers,
Beth.
Beth Mantle

H: 02 6287 7860