birding-aus

immature channell billed cuckoo

To: <>
Subject: immature channell billed cuckoo
From: Amanda Markham <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:17:10 +0930
Hi Gary,

Yes, I can confirm from those I've spoken to at the Desert Park and birding
rangers that immature Channel-Billed Cuckoos born in ASP do indeed winter over
here and then head off north the following year. I'm not exactly sure why they
come to Alice Springs! Local Aboriginal languages have words for Channel Bills,
so they seem to have been doing it for some time.

If you would like to know more about them, perhaps give Michael Barritt a call
at PWS (8951 8250) - he's the senior community education ranger, and involved
in the Field Nats. You could also call up Jon Delaine on the same number - he's
one of PWS's resident birders and also the wildlife ranger who does snake
call-outs!

Hope this is helpful.

Amanda> From: > To: > Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:20:03 +0930> Subject: [Birding-Aus] immature channell
billed cuckoo> > On Sturt st Alice springs today I saw an immature channel
billed cuckoo drinking from a pool(from sprinkler, not rain!) attended by two
torresian crows. Does this mean the immatures overwinter here in Alice(adults
left some time back, approx 4-5 weeks ago) or like immature waders or
shearwaters they leave after the parents? > > I am assuming they leave after
the parents-individually? There can't be that many immature channel billed
cuckoos in Alice and as to why tehy would ever come here in the first place who
would know? We are not exactly a wonderland of fruit?> > Gary>
==========www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from
this mailing list, > send the message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of the
message, with no Subject line)> to: >