birding-aus

Bird feeders

To: "L&L Knight" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Bird feeders
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:43:11 +1000
Laurie

But no one has mentioned those 4 brilliant articles in the last Wingspan about feeding or caring for birds in urban areas.

They are a real challenge to purists - and to people who moan about losing species but do not do the right thing in their gardens and neighbourhoods.

Anyhow, many thanks - aren't we Birding-Aussers so lucky to have people like you scanning the Web for interesting stuff!

I see what the authors mean on http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080403104353.htm

But it was surprising to see their picture shows three European species - House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Greenfinch - but on a quick scan I did not see encouraging exotics as an issue.

If feeding has down sides - but the up side of favouring interest in and care for birds - what should we do ?

Michael Norris