birding-aus

Re: House Crow, Dee Why, Sydney

To: "'Judith Hoyle'" <>, "'Ed Parnell'" <>, <>
Subject: Re: House Crow, Dee Why, Sydney
From: "Steve" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:56:04 +1000
Judith. Firstly, I know it's a long bow (that's why I used the word 'even').
Quarantine officers routinely euthanise animals found hitch-hiking into
ports on and in containers. Why do they do this? Because alien species can
be vectors for diseases we don't yet have here, and because alien species
might establish to the detriment of native species. The Asian House Geckoes
that drive everyone crazy in Brisbane probably came in on shipping
containers. The bottom line is, we don't know whether the crow in Dee Why
might be harbouring disease. By the way, I see a huge difference between
naturally occurring vagrants (however rare) and hitch-hikers, but obviously
many on the list don't.  As for it being "just one bird", decisions about
the removal of such animals should be made according to policy, not
according to how many there are.

Steve Murray

  _____