birding-aus

House Crow Update

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: House Crow Update
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:02:54 +1100
Birders,

One of the major advantages of working for the public service is the
RDO. So I took a half day today to go and see this crow for my self.

Arrived early at Dee Why and observed the bird as planned. It was
fairly inquisitive and not too spooked. I ate a sandwich and drank a
coffee and watched for half an hour or so. I tossed it the crust of my
sandwich when I was finished and it wandered up to check me out. This
gave me an idea.

I'd been talking about trapping the bird and giving it to the
authorities, jokingly at first, but it seemed like a better idea the
more I thought about it. So, I coaxed the bird closer, opened the back
of the wagon and tried to bait it in. Surprisingly it jumped happily
into the car and into the back seat, eating the rest of my sandwich.
This is the instinct that must have got it onto the boat in the first
place. Then it was a simple matter of closing the boot! Bird trapped
and happily eating. I called the local Wires rep and they came and
collected it. Not sure what will happen next, but apparently there's
some sort of process Wires and Customs need to go through to make a
decision. Apologies for anyone who's been put out by this, but some
convictions need to be stood by.

EB

--
Evan Beaver