birding-aus

Blue Mountains and Capertee Valley March 29 to 30

To: exleycaroline elluder <>, caroline <>, Raja Stephenson <>,
Subject: Blue Mountains and Capertee Valley March 29 to 30
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:52:21 -0700 (PDT)
March 29, 2008: Evan’s Lookout (EL) & Cathedral of Ferns (CF; Mt. Wilson), Blue
Mountains; Cullen Bullen (CB); Capertee Valley (CV)
March 30, 2008: Capertee Valley (CV)

First I want to thank Carol Probets and Evan Beaver for their tips. Although we
ended up dipping on ALL target species at the Capertee Valley, we were still
quite successful:

Total: 89 bird species, 4 mammal species, 1 reptile species, 7 butterfly species

Highlights (based on David Geering 2006 “Birds of the Capertee Valley”):

Grey Teal: 1 pair CV
Australasian Grebe: 1 CB; 5 CV
Brown Goshawk: 1 CV
Wedge-tailed Eagle: 1 CB
(we dipped on Little Eagle)
(we dipped on Button-quails)
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo: 4 EL (no Glossies this time)
Gang-gang Cockatoo: 15 CB
Little Lorikeet: about a dozen flocks flying overhead at CV
(9 parrot species in total, but we dipped on Turquoise Parrot)
Fan-tailed Cuckoo: 1 CF
Shining Bronze Cuckoo: 1 CF
Southern Boobook: 1 CV
Rockwarbler: 2 EL
Large-billed Scrub-wren: 2 CF
(we dipped on Speckled Warbler)
Southern Whiteface: 4 CV
White-eared Honeyeater: 1 EL
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater: 4 CV
Fuscous Honeyeater: 6 juv CV
Black-chinned Honeyeater: 3 ad, 3 juv CV
Crescent Honeyeater: 1 CF
(13 honeyeater species in total, but we dipped on Regent Honeyeater)
Flame Robin: 1 female EL
Rose Robin: 1 pair CF
Crested Shrike-tit: 1 CF
Restless Flycatcher: 3 CV
Little Raven: approx. 30 CV
Double-barred Finch: 4 CV
Plum-headed Finch: 1 ad male, 1 juv CV
Bassian Thrush: 2 CF

Common Brushtail Possum: 1 CV
Eastern Grey Kangaroo: 6 CB
Eastern Wallaroo (Euro): 4 CV
Red-necked Wallaby: 2 CV

Eastern Bearded Dragon: 2 CV

Black Jezebel
Rock Ringlet: 30+ EL
Varied Sword-grass Brown
Tailed Emperor: 1 CF
Meadow Argus
Australian Painted Lady: 1 CV
Monarch: 1 CV

Although I posted our observations from December 29-30, 2007, in the Blue
Mountains and the Capertee Valley at an earlier time point, these rarer
observations might have been overlooked:
White-eared Honeyeater: 2 CV
Brown-headed Honeyeater: 2 CV
White-naped Honeyeater: 1 pair feeding young at nest CV
Satin Flycatcher: 1 pair CV
Little Grassbird: 1 CV
Brown Songlark: 1 CV

Nikolas