birding-aus

Peafowl

To: Chris Baxter <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Peafowl
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:39:11 +1100
Interesting comments Chris. I recently spent a week on KI (will get around to
writing up a report at some stage). Didn't see any peacocks, but did see a
single Turkey wandering across the road south of Penneshaw. Could not see any
houses about and I was wondering whether there was a feral population present.
Probably not but do I tick it (not really a drama as I have seen them on
Flinders Island anyway).
I have also seen feral Peahen (with chicks) near Licuala Forest walk near
Mission Beach well in the bush away from any houses.
Cheers,
Peter> From: > To: > Date: Sat, 29
Mar 2008 19:01:23 +1030> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Peafowl> > Hi All> > > > Plenty
of feral Peafowl on E half of Kangaroo Island, SA, as well.> Particularly
noticeable in farmland and mallee around brackish ti-tree> lagoons where they
take refuge/roost in paperbark trees Melaleuca> halmaturorum and M. neglecta.
Have established from farmyard areas and have> prospered due to absence of Red
Fox on KI. American Turkey also wanders a> bit but has not established feral
populations in the wild like the Peafowl.> Plenty of Blackbirds, Feral Pigeons,
House Sparrows, Starlings, Goldfinches> and the Spotted Turtledove is ever
increasing and expanding its range on KI.> > > > Cheers> > > > Chris Baxter> >
===============================> www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com>
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, > send the message:> unsubscribe > (in
the body of the message, with no Subject line)> to:
Fashion, beauty, health, relationship advice and horoscopes.
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=873&referral=MarchHotmailTagline&URL=http://lifestyle.ninemsn.com.au/?ocid=T003HOT40A0710G==============================www.birding-aus.org