birding-aus

Pied Butcherbird, Shoal Bay, NSW, etc.

To: <>
Subject: Pied Butcherbird, Shoal Bay, NSW, etc.
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:40:20 +1100
Hello all,

Since Keith mentioned the Pied Butcherbird I have to add my recent sighting. I
spent a few days in Shoal Bay, Port Stephens NSW just before Easter and saw a
Pied Butcherbird (2 actually, unmistakeable by their song), which I believe is
not usual for the area? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was surprised to see them
anyway. I wasn't actually 'birding' at the time, just having a late brekky
overlooking the water and then suddenly I heard them and had to find them! This
was on Tuesday, 18th March.

Does anyone know if Great Knot is seen in Port Stephens? I saw a small flock
(half a dozen or so) that looked a bit like Great Knot, but I'm not sure, I
have little experience with waders and they all look alike!! I saw them twice -
once at Lemon Tree Passage and once near Salamander Bay. Possibly the same
birds. Both times they were seen on the rocks at the edge of the water late
afternoon/early evening.

Thanks to all (particularly Graham Stevens) who provided local information, it
was a great help. For anyone interested or who might be going there in the
future, I picked up a publication called Bush Mates - a guide to the wildlife
of Nelson Bay by Michael Smith. Available from the Nelson Bay Tourist Info
office. Apparently Peregrine Falcons nest on Tomaree Headland in August so that
might be worth seeing some day.

cheers,

Arwen
Lawson, Blue Mountains,
Search for local singles online @ Lavalife
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org