birding-aus

House Crow and its arrival

To: "'Alan McBride'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: House Crow and its arrival
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:04:08 +1030
Thank you Alan for your somewhat light hearted dissertation re the
contentious issue of birds being ship assisted and or coming over on
F&J, and whether they can be counted on our Oz list or not.
 You are quite correct in asserting that birds are ( or can be) very
resourceful in getting across vast stretches of water and do so, I
think, far more frequently than some folk perhaps like to admit. My
stance is that if the bird is in Oz, no matter how it got here, then
it's tickable, and no amount of contention as to it's mode of travel is
relevant.
In support of my view I offer one example. In 2006 whilst on an Ashmore
Reef trip out of Broome, a couple of hundred kms out to sea, we suddenly
noticed this little bird trailing along behind the boat. It was a Tree
Martin ( !!!!)  which departed after a few minutes. Now if a little
fellow like that can be happily flying around in the Indian Ocean then
I'm quite prepared to believe that other birds can perform similar feats
and have always been doing so.
I'm sorely tempted to go for the House Crow, it being a race different
to the one on Philip Island some years ago, but then it's only a sub
tick and I can't seem to reconcile a sub tick with the cost of travel
from Adelaide and back. But I'm still thinking of going, provided no-one
shoots it in the meantime.

Tony.