birding-aus

Seen from my armchair, plus an owl

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Seen from my armchair, plus an owl
From: "Eddie and Annabel" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:44:47 +1100
Over the last few mornings I have had some marvellous birdwatching.   I like to
sit at the back of our house with my early morning cup of tea, overlooking our
garden and birdbath and listen to the dawn chorus.

We are 20kms east of Tamworth NSW and look up on to a heavily timbered hill.
In the space of two mornings I have seen the following birds in the garden.
Most were seen on both days.   It is notable that they are mostly small birds,
which have been sadly lacking over the previous couple of years.

Galah
English blackbird
Noisy friarbird
Spiny-cheeked honeyeater
Brown honeyeater
White-plumed honeyeater
Fuscous honeyeater
Yellow-faced honeyeater
House sparrow
Restless flycatcher
Leaden flycatcher
Williw wagtail
Australian raven
Spotted pardalote
Striated pardalote
Mistletoe bird
White throated gerygone
Silvereye
White-browed scrubwren
Superb fairy wren
Yellow-rumped thronbill
Yellow thornbill
Brown thornbill
Striated thornbill
Buff-rumped thornbill
Weebill
Rufous whistler
Grey fantail

Also seen recently - a BARKING OWL in a tree in the centre of Tamworth's CBD.
It must be after the starlings which have taken over the CBD as their roosting
place, much to everyone's disgust!