birding-aus

Inskip Point, SEQld, tern report

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Inskip Point, SEQld, tern report
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:26:22 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick message to balance the report I lodged a couple of weeks
ago after seeing around 30,000 migratory terns.

I was at Inskip again on Tuesday evening and once again saw a lot of
terns, but not a patch on the flock I saw before. Meanwhile, my
colleague, Dorothy Pashniak, reported between my two visits that she had
observed an evening arrival at Inskip, with a very reduced flock size.
As she is not experienced at counting large flocks, she declined to put
any number on it, except low. She was with me again this week when I
tried to count the arriving flock (a mongrel of a place to get a vantage
point, as they come at you from two sides).

The flock was just too much for me to manage alone. I was missing heaps
which were arriving behind me. It was raining some of the time, which
didn't help. However, at the end of the session, I put the scope on the
flock, and there were no fewer than 10,000 birds on the sandbank just
off the point. Some of them were Crested Terns. Most were Commons, with
say 100 Littles. The tide was low.

Cheers,

Jill

--