birding-aus

(no subject)

To: birding aus <>
Subject: (no subject)
From: Tim Jones <>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:45:55 +0000
Dear All,

I am planning a solo trip to the Eastern Deserts for a week or so in the second
half of April. I have targeted certain species on a round trip which may end up
at Mackay or Townsville via Eugella NP. My main target birds are:

Carpentarian Grasswren
Kalkadoon Grasswren
Grey Grasswren
Eyrean Grasswren
Purple-crowned Fairy-wren
Gibberbird
Hall's Babbler
Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush
Spotted Bowerbird
Pictorella Mannikin
Spinifexbird
Chiming Wedgebill
Eungella Honeyeater

Other possibles include:

Grey Falcon (well I can dream)
Flock Bronzewing
Black-eared Cuckoo
Ground Cuckoo-shrike
Painted Honeyeater
Star Finch
Letter-winged Kite
Grass Owl
Painted Snipe

Any tips on where to look for these birds (both targets and possibles) would be
greatly appreciated. I have done some research so I know of some of the better
known sites, but any recent updates or standard knowledge would be great (or
any news between now and departure).

I plan to fly in to Mt Isa with the aim of hiring a 4wd, but I am a bit wary
about safety. I don't know how necessary it is to go off the beaten track and
what precautions are really necessary. I am thinking:

- Hire car equipped with 2 spare tyres
- Outback safety kit (can I get this as part of the hire package?).
- EPIRB (ditto).
- Satellite phone?
- GPS (anything reasonably priced recommened?)
- Places to stay (I suppose I should also hire a tent but more often than not I
would want to stay in hotels/motels/fixed accommodation)?
- OK to hire vehicle in one place and return 1200 kms away? Any recommended
hirers?
- I guess a lot of these areas are underwater now (more so in the east?), but
how quickly would the roads be passable again?
- Assuming water levels OK, this could be the best possible time to do this,
i.e. after major inundation?

Anyone with experience, knowledge or recommendations for any or all of the
above?

Many thanks

Tim