birding-aus

Whistler at window.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Whistler at window.
From: "Barry McLean" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:57:24 +1100
Hello all,

Here in my office I am listening to a male Rufous Whistler which has been, for the last three weeks, calling/whistling/singing or attacking its reflection in the house windows, from dawn to dusk every day. For the first week a female was also doing the same but then disappeared. It (presumably the same bird) was found dead in a pot plant under a window a week ago.

We have a sheet permanently covering our bedroom window and had to do the same for the other bedrooms when we had visitors.

We had a similar problem with a Superb Fairy-wren last year and they also attack car mirrors etc. but I have not seen Whistlers do this before.

It is not now the normal breeding season but we have also had juvenile White-plumed, New Holland and a White-naped H/E in the last month as well as Red-browed Finch. The wrens also had some late broods this year but most are now out of breeding plumage.

Barry and Roberta McLean
PO Box 66, Violet Town, Vic 3669
03 57981213 0418584433