birding-aus

Re: [SPAM] [Birding-Aus] speckled warblers

To: "john hammond" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] [Birding-Aus] speckled warblers
From: "Margaret Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 21:36:27 +1000
I came back to Queensland from Victoria in 2004, and was surprised at how common Speckled Warblers are in SE Queensland compared to Victoria. I live in Ipswich (about 40km from Brisbane) which has many bushland and conservation reserves (170+ I think.) When I first saw Speckled Warblers in one of these reserves I was so excited I reported them to the relevant Council Officer. And the next time...., and the next time..... Now I am more likely to report if I don't see any in a place which looks suitable, or where they were on an earlier visit. So I would say they are reliable and nesting etc in the places where they are. Your track in Jimboomba is probably one of these.

Being reliable in specific suitable places is not the same as being common.

I go to lots of places where they aren't, and some of these places look pretty promising, and may be places where they used to be (I don't know), but are often islands of bush surrounded by farms, housing etc.

I have been to presentations on strategic planning for nature conservation in SE Qld, and in Ipswich. From the point of view of what I might call "ordinary bush" suitable for birds like Speckled Warblers (and others), I don't think the outlook is good. Many parks, reserves etc are on mountains and slopes (as one (official) presenter said "if you're not on a mountain, you don't get conserved"), and not enough (in my view) are ordinary old bush as in the Lockyer Valley etc. They show you maps with small green areas which are parks and reserves, joined up by green corridors, but surrounded by the colours they are using for houses and industrial land. There are 10s of 1000s of people coming into this area! But the green corridors are not real; some are, but most are roadsides, railway lines and riversides not at present managed for wildlife, or (sometimes imaginary) corridors on private land it is proposed to maintain or establish with the co-operation of landowners.

My perception of the status of Diamond Firetails in this area would be uncommon, but reliable in suitable locations, and vulnerable to habitat fragmentation and destruction, and future (rapid) urban expansion.

Someone who actually knows the FACTS about SE Qld may disagree (and I would be pleased to be persuaded that Speckled Warblers will have a good future in Southeast Queensland!)

Margaret Cameron
2 Cintra Street
Eastern Heights, Qld
Australia 4305