birding-aus

Help with SQL

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Help with SQL
From: "John Murray Penhallurick" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:44:59 +1100
Dear Friends,

This is a plea to anyone, particularly in Canberra, who is familiar with
using SQL, and in particular, anyone who uses my web site:
http://worldbirdinfo.net <http://worldbirdinfo.net/>

Originally, this website used an Access database.  This was ideal for me as
I could convert my Foxpro database to Access, winzip it, FTP it to the
website, and unzip there. Unfortunately, there was already so much data on
the website that it kep crashing the server.  So my web programmer switched
to Microsoft SQL, and designed a web interface to allow me to upload data.
Unfortunately, I find this web interface far too slow.  At times, it can
take up to 15 seconds to upload a single synonym, and I spend more time
waiting for things to upload than entering data.  My programmer has done a
bunk, attracted by the big money available on Australian Idol, and left me
standing.

I had my ISP provider copy the SQL database from the website and send it to
me. My idea was that it would be quicker to enter data into SQL on my own
computer, and then send the ISP a disk every month to upload into the
website.  I believe that for security reasons, it is not possible to FTP an
sSQL database.  I have downloaded SQL Server etc from the Microsoft database
and tried to open the database.But when I try to open the mdf I get an error
message ?Not enough storage is available?? Can ayone tell me what this means
and what I can do about it?  Also can anyone tell me how to import a Foxpro
database into SQL?

Thanks,

John Penhallurick

86 Bingley Crescent