birding-aus

Re: Subject: [Birding-Aus] Re: of companion animals and wildlife

To: "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Subject: Re: Subject: [Birding-Aus] Re: of companion animals and wildlife
From: "Alistair McKeough" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:26:27 +1100
Perhaps it's the lower propensity of bird watchers to keep species that pose
a serious threat to humans, in particular kids, that means birdos attract
less ire from the general community. Or the fact that birdos don't take
their pets around shitting on your front lawn.

One has to dodge dog droppings most places nowadays, so unfortunately a
naughty minority creates a real annoyance to the general community. Same
with chewing gum - ban that too please. More seriously though, I'm
constantly worried about the regular maulings of kids by dogs (eg - yet
another attack on a child was reported in the Sydney Morning Herald today).

Personally, I love dogs and have owned them previously and taken great
pleasure in them and still do. However, I would like to see many species
blanket banned. For example, although I have friends who keep rottweilers
and german shepherds, they are two species that, amongst others, I don't
think it should be legal to keep domestically.

Damage to wildlife is just another bad mark against some species of dog in
my mind, compounding the problems with aggressive dogs and owners that don't
clean up after their pets.

Alistair