birding-aus

Australasian Bittern, Ellis Swamp NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Australasian Bittern, Ellis Swamp NSW
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:12:32 +1100
I know that this might be a mundane record for the southerners in our midst but
on Saturday February 16 Warren Thompson and I heard an Australasian Bittern
calling from reed beds at Ellis Swamp, on the Coldstream River, near Ulmarra,
north coast NSW.  This is my first confirmed record of the species in the
Clarence Valley (or North Coast for that matter).  Years ago I observed a large
bittern/heron flying over the Clarence River Bridge, at Grafton.  It was
probably an Australasian Bittern but my view of the bird was brief and the
distinguishing colour and markings could not be seen.

Late last year Russell Jago and Roy Bowling had an Australasian Bittern call in
response to call playback at Morans Swamp, a wetland a short distance away from
Ellis Swamp.

Earlier reports of 'Australasian Bitterns" had always turned out to be juvenile
Nankeen Night Herons.

Greg Clancy
Coutts Crossing