birding-aus

Re: Vagrant Gull (whatever it be)

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Vagrant Gull (whatever it be)
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:10:16 +1000
Hey guys and galls! This is much more interesting (for want of a better word) than any discussion on wind-farms or dogs-on-the-run, etc, dontcha think?

I especially want to thank Nikolas for his contribution:
"No, it is not related to Larus relictus.
It is part of the complicated Herring/Lesser Black-backed Gull complex
(argentatus-fuscus complex). Mostly it has been treated as a subspecies of
Caspian Gull Larus cachinnans (which in turn has been treated as a subspecies of Larus argentatus), but is probably closer related to Slaty-backed Gull (L.
schistisagus) than to Caspian Gull and the similar Baraba Gull (L. (c.)
barabensis) which in turn could be closer related to Heuglin's Gull (L.
(fuscus) heuglini) than to Caspian Gull. "

I do wish I had said that! It's like one of those Chinese puzzles: where does it start and where does it end?

Seriously, I am joking Nikolas and I do appreciate how complex this gull complex is and it is really good to see some serious (if somewhat esoteric) discussion on this forum. I do hope, though, that we don't end up with broken friendships or rocks-on-roofs, etc.

Richard Baxter has guided me to a very interesting gull photos web-site called 'Japanese Gull Site'.
A quick link as a starting point is:
http://www23.tok2.com/home/jgull/mongolicus/index.html
Thanks Richard. You have just damaged my resolve to spurn the pursuit of sea-birds!

I think I might be spending the rest of my down-hill run looking at the photos on this site.

Sadly, as a result of this Vagrant Gull event I have thrown out my copies of Harrison's Seabirds and his Photographic Guide for the same birds. Those books consider "Mongolian Gull" to be another name for "Relict Gull". Obviously, The Cooktown gull is not a Relict Gull. Also, 'Enticott and Tipling' is going into the bin as they don't seem to even know about a Mongolian Gull.

And Mike, you should be advised that, as a true-blue Banana-bender, I would always stand by a fellow Queenslander in a fight with you mexicans! (Can't think who you are referring to, though, so I might have to withdraw that support at short notice.)

Cheers

Bob Inglis