birding-aus

Query re identity of a hawk please.

To: <>
Subject: Query re identity of a hawk please.
From: "peter kennedy" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:20:20 +1100
Dear Birdologists,
                         Yesterday I was up on Mt. Buninyong, outside Ballarat,
when I saw a hawk circling on the wind, down below, over some paddocks. It had
brown wings and along the edges of the wings, a black trim,so to speak.
  Having viewed it through my binoculars, I gave up any ideas of photographing
it, due to the several hundred meters between us.
At about 3.30pm, I fell asleep in my car, window open, arm half out.
Something awoke me at 3.43pm, and I looked up at my windscreen, to see a large
hawk, perched on my windscreen wiper, gazing back at me.

This hawk had black chest feathers, with flecks of yellow on the tips as I
recall, and yellow circles around dark eyes and a yellow beak. He was about the
size of a domestic chook I suppose or close to it.
Certainly bigger than a magpie.

He did not seem alarmed and finished looking, then flew to a nearby gum tree,
turned for another look, and winged it away, circling around again.

This bird is the most beautiful creature I have seen since last Tuesday, when
Caylie M. worked front desk at the gym. She's more in the dove category, though
as sharp as a hawk.

>From my description, can you identify the hawk, please? The terrain is heavily
>wooded on the mountain, and the farmland is open with clumps of gums.

I look forward to a reply at your convenience, please.

Kind regards,

Peter Kennedy
Ballarat North