birding-aus

black kite Milvus migrans

To: <>
Subject: black kite Milvus migrans
From: "Anthony Molyneux" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:37:15 +0930
I live and work in Alice Springs and I also work with Black Kites and Whistling
Kites.  The calls are similar but the Whistling Kite has the 'inflection' at
either or both ends of the call.  The Black Kite call is the constant 'chatter'
part but if you listen it doesn't rise in pitch like the Whistling Kite.

The Whistling Kite call is also slightly higher in pitch overall.  When you
work with both you can tell the calls apart but may not be easy when you only
hear it sporadically.

Ant