birding-aus

Parrot triva: where am I?

To: <>
Subject: Parrot triva: where am I?
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:28:10 +1100
Hi birders,

The answer to my trivia question is that it's my backyard list in
Northcote, Melbourne (Vic).

I have been a little mischievous with the boundaries of my backyard,
including some parrots seen a couple of km away. (So it's really an
inner Northern Melbourne / city list.) The list also includes 2 species
that are escapees (Major Mitchell's Cockatoo & Budgerigar) and 2 feral
population species (Pale-headed Rosella & Scaly-breasted Lorikeet). This
is where I've seen them:

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (Northcote)
Gang-gang Cockatoo (Northcote)
Galah (backyard)
Long-billed Corella (Northcote)
Major Mitchell's Cockatoo (backyard, escapee - first Melbourne record
last Thursday)
Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo (backyard)
Rainbow Lorikeet (backyard)
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet (backyard)
Musk Lorikeet (backyard)
Little Lorikeet (backyard)
Crimson Rosella (Yarra Bend)
Eastern Rosella (backyard)
Pale-headed Rosella (Royal Park several km away, Zoo feral population)
Red-rumped Parrot (backyard)
Swift Parrot (Royal Park 3 km away)
Budgerigar (nearby Merri Ck, escapee)

A number of people mentioned that my list's interesting in terms of the
species that aren't included. This is because it's an inner-city list
full of weird birds, such as escapees and ferals, giving the impression
that it should include more bush parrots.

There are also some Melbourne parrots missing from my list:
- Little Corella: I've recorded this bird in Melbourne, but not close
enough to be on the list.
- Purple-crowned Lorikeet: not close enough to be on the list.
- Blue-winged Parrot: there are some recent records at Royal Park,
Altona and Belgrave but I've not seen them in Melbourne.
- King Parrot: an rare bird in inner Melbourne, mainly found in the
eastern suburbs.
- Cockatiel, Superb Parrot & Lovebird are also occasionally recorded in
Melbourne as escapees.

So, there you are. Inner Melbourne is officially the best place in the
world to see parrots!

Cheers,

Tim Dolby