birding-aus

Edithvale Wetlands, SE Melbourne, currently good for birds.

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "BA VicGroup Sightings" <>
Subject: Edithvale Wetlands, SE Melbourne, currently good for birds.
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:40:11 +1100
Yesterday Andrew Silcocks and I did our regular monthly survey of the Edithvale Wetlands. On this occasion we had the assistance of Damien Cook, Alison Kuiter & Johnny Loy. The extra eyes proved very advantageous as several species recorded would otherwise have been missed. Most notably AUSTRALIAN LITTLE BITTERNS. On the South, I flushed a juvenile without seeing it but luckily Alison was so positioned that she saw it land in a small clump of reeds. As we stood deciding how to further investigate, it climbed a phragmites stem, then took flight landing in a large dense phragmites stand. On the North, ~1 km away, Andrew flushed an adult male, also without seeing it. Johnny, wading behind him, called out enabling all three in that group to see it. 40 wetland dependent and 27 non-wetland dependent species were recorded. In addition to the Little Bitterns, among those of greatest interest were 1 Australasian Bittern, 1 Intermediate Egret, 2 Wood Sandpipers, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 8 Baillon's Crakes, 2 Spotless Crakes, only 1 Australian Spotted Crake though many more seen five days ago, 9 Yellow-billed Spoonbills, 4 Royal Spoonbills, 2 Nankeen Night-Herons, 260 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers & 110 Black-winged Stilts.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136