birding-aus

Re:Mynas nest in traffic lights

Subject: Re:Mynas nest in traffic lights
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 18:13:45 +1100
brian fleming wrote:

Chris Lloyd wrote:

Over the years I have seen several attempts by Common Mynahs to build nests inside traffic-light housings. They carry in sticks and straws and can make quite a large bundle - the housing is probably just the right size. These attempts usually fail, because humans tend to remove the nest materials so that the lights are not obscured.

As they usually choose the topmost, i.e. red light to build in, this has led to a few photos in the local papers with predictable headlines stressing the perils or raising young in a red-light district.

When we were in London, we were very surprised to find almost no Sparrows and Starlings in Central London - and only a few in parks. Older buildings were screened unobtrusively but thoroughly with netting, as are Melbourne's Town Hall and State Library. Modern buildings offer very few nooks and crannies. If this were done in our cities and towns, would this reduce the introduced bird numbers - or would they just give native birds more grief with even fiercer competition for nest-holes? We could at least screen all the municipal palm trees which are always full of roosting Starlings and Mynahs.

Anthea Fleming

As usual Andrew beat me too it! I would add one point LEDs are increasingly used in bird husbandry and a small byproduct is that there limited heat output may be just sufficient to maintain an ambient >30 degrees when confined to the nacelle. This is why Mynas commonly use the heat exchanger of air-con units. It allows the adults additional foraging time. Ciao
Chris Lloyd

Bring back the old 150 Watt incandescents and roast the pests!

Brian Fleming
Melbourne