birding-aus

Re: I am a dog owner; I am not the enemy

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: I am a dog owner; I am not the enemy
From: "Tracey Newcombe" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:53:24 +1100
Hi all,
I have three Golden retrievers on our property, as well as many different
species of birds. Although I love my dogs, I'm realistic enough to know that
the only reason birds still come to our place is because my dogs are either
with me and under control or in their fenced off part of the yard where they
can't do any damage. We walk in the bush every day but never off leash; they
are the friendliest dogs with people but they are born hunters and would not
hesitate to go after anything that moves. I think responsible dog owners can
enjoy their pets and still co-exist with wildlife, as long as they don't
deny their dog or cats' natural instincts and take appropriate measures to
protect the wildlife from them.

Tracey Newcombe
Tomerong, NSW