birding-aus

Little Curlew, possible Little Button-quail

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Little Curlew, possible Little Button-quail
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:26:29 +1100
Hi All,

Out bright and early this morning determined to see the Little Curlew. I
started my search at the plastic marker, unsuccessfully for either Banded
Lapwing or Little Curlew. After half an hour of searching I went to the corner
and started working my way back to the plastic, getting on to an initial group
of 10 Banded Lapwing on a ridge just behind the large empty dam. 3 other
birders arrived and began to work the plastic marker area and I continued my
search of the area in ~50m arcs, adding more & more Banded Lapwing until my
count was up to 30 but again arriving at the plastic bag with no sign of the
Little Curlew. Leaving Jack Hunt searching the marker area (the other 2 guys
left) I went back to the corner to start again.

As I drove looking into the sun near the large dam a small brown bird with
round body, tailess in appearance and whitish flanks flew low and fast across
the road and disappeared over a ridge. My first reaction was Little
Button-quail. My second was that it was too small, but I couldn't think what
else it might be even after a close tail-grabbing encounter with a cat. So if
you're going out there please keep your eyes open and let me know if you see
it. Anyway, in the end I found the Little Curlew, with yet another group of 10
lapwing bringing the count to ~40, on a distant ridge with a fence across it
roughly SE of the large dam. Having attracted Jack's attention fwe both had a
good scope look as it fed and moved in and out between rocks and thistles. We
both heard it call when making a celebratory cuppa and I observed it in flight
and heading back to the general area of the plastic marker where it appeared to
land. This was at about 9am.

A very productive morning.

Cheers

Joy Tansey